Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Art Critique #1

I have chosen to use Cara Lanae aka The Art Babe's digital illustration entitled, "It's Your World," as my first critique. While perusing through Twitter, I came across Cara's account. This illustration was a piece in her "Women x Space...The universe is within us" collection. I chose the work out of this collection because I related to the piece and the meaning. I can see myself in her art, especially since she uses her art to showcase "how it feels to be a black girl." The illustration is a realistic depiction of a black girl's lower face, her mouth and jawline, with a lollipop in her hand. She is licking the lollipop, which is Earth on a white stick. It fits into the background which is space. Mars and Venus are both in the illustrations as they would appear in the solar system. There is a shooting star across the left of the illustration. There are stars throughout the background that makes up the universe and space.
Cara's key icons in this illustration and throughout the collection is women and space. She chooses women because they are powerful, strong and do not get enough credit sometimes. The outer space theme comes from the idea that the universe is within women. There are no boundaries. So, whatever they put to their mind to for it. The world is theirs' for the taking.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment